Wednesday 21st June
9am-4.30pm in the Stornoway Sea Angling Club (RSVP 9th June)
Autism Eileanan Siar is hosting an Autism Awareness Conference to raise awareness of autism in the Western Isles.
The event features guest speaker Alex Lowery, a riveting speaker who uses humour to engage with the audience and whose motto is ‘Changing attitudes towards ASC one person at a time’.
The event will also host the following local guest speakers:
- Norrie Macleod (CnES Local Area Coordinator for Learning Disabilities)
- Cathy Anne Dunne (Advocacy Western Isles Children & Young Person’s Advocacy Worker)
- Dr. Lisa Ronald (NHSWI Consultant Clinical Psychologist)
- Dr. Shannon Finlayson (CnES Principal Educational Psychologist)
- Catherine Byrne (NHSWI Speech & Language Therapist).
Alex Lowery Profile
Alex, who was diagnosed with autism at aged four, is a professional trainer and public speaker on autism. Now aged 23, he uses his personal experience of having autism and is a wealth of information on autism. Alex is passionate about raising awareness of autism. He is also Youth Patron for campaigns with Ambitious About Autism. Alex’s confidence comes from his passion to move society from awareness to aceptance and is driven to make a difference.
Topics covered by Alex at the event will include:
- Autism and sensory issues
- Autism and adulthood
- Autism awareness training
- Autism and obsession.