Thursday, 23 November 2017

Occupational Therapy FAQ

Q. I no longer need my equipment, how do I return it?

A. Please contact the Community Equipment Service on 01851 703054 and uplift will be organised. Please do not return your equipment to the hospital, due to infection control regulations we are unable to accept used equipment.

Q. Can I borrow some equipment for someone who is staying with me on holiday?

A. The OT team is happy to lend basic items for a holiday loan providing they are available in stock. We require a minimum of 2 weeks notice for equipment to be delivered.

Q. I am having problems getting in/out of my Chair/Bed/Bath or managing the toilet. Can you help?

A. Someone from the Occupational Therapy Service can visit you at home. They may be able to make some suggestions or provide some equipment that might help. Please complete an OT self referral form here and send or email to  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Q. I need a commode – can you help?

A. You need to contact your Community Nurse, via your GP surgery, about getting a commode.

Q. Can I get help to put in a shower?

A. An Occupational Therapist (OT) will be able to assess what is most suitable for your needs and make recommendations based on your need and the eligibility criteria.

Q. I have fitted a shower/ ramp in myself, can I claim funding for this?

A. Grant assistance will not be approved for any work started before grant approval, except in special circumstances and where before the work is started the applicant submits, in writing, good reasons for starting the work and has written authority for proceeding.

Q. I can't carry things because I use a walking aid. What can I do?

A. A trolley or zimmer "caddy" might help. Someone from the Occupational Therapy service can visit to make sure it is a safe option – see referral.

Q. I need a walking stick. Where can I get one?

A. You should contact the Physiotherapy Department, phone 01851 702258.

Q. I need to borrow a wheelchair, what should I do?

A. If you need to use a wheelchair a lot you should ask your GP or OT if you can have one of your own. The Red Cross can lend you a wheelchair if they have a suitable one in stock, contact 01851 702897/703275.

Q. I have difficulty using my front door; I think a rail or ramp would help me. How do I get one?

A. Someone from the Occupational Therapy service can visit and assess your need and can organise improvements for you if necessary – see eligibility criteria.

Q. How do I get a community care alarm?

A. You need to contact Faire, 01851 701702, or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Q. I am having difficulties at work because of my disability, can you help?

A. We can offer a work place assessment to discuss possible solutions.